• Scottsboro : (256) 259-0834
  • Huntsville : (256) 519-5900


gavel decree

If you are not receiving court-ordered visitation or child support, you are likely frustrated by your situation. After all, you took the time to go through the court, and yet your ex-spouse refuses to follow the court order.

We understand how frustrating it is to clients when a court order is not being followed. At the Law Office of Parker Edmiston we understand the legal process for enforcement of court orders. Attorney Edmiston will guide you through the process to protect your legal rights.

How Does Contempt Work?

When a divorce decree is signed by the Judge, the document becomes enforceable. That means that if your ex-spouse is not following the court order, you can file a petition for contempt. This type of action is generally used when child support or visitation is denied or when your ex-spouse is ignoring any other part of the court’s order. Contempt is a very serious action because it can result in incarceration and reimbursement of attorney fees.

Should I File a Contempt Lawsuit?

You may have to file a complaint for contempt if your former spouse:

  • Is behind in child support or alimony payments
  • Has not paid a debt he or she was ordered to pay
  • Refuses to give you property you were awarded in the divorce
  • Has not obtained insurance as ordered by the court
  • Has failed to comply with the divorce order or agreement in any other way

Contact Our Law Office

If you need a lawyer to help with your family law matter, contact our law firm to schedule an appointment by filling out the contact form online or by calling our Scottsboro Office at 256-259-0834 or our Huntsville Office at 256-519-5900.


Our Location

209 South Market Street, Suite 101
Scottsboro, Alabama 35768
(256) 259-0834 Telephone
(256) 259-0845 Facsimile

7027 Old Madison Pike, Suite 108
Huntsville, Alabama 35806
(256) 519-5900 Telephone


Law Offices of Parker Edmiston