• Scottsboro : (256) 259-0834
  • Huntsville : (256) 519-5900

Domestic Violence/Order of Protection

Choosing the right attorney to handle your domestic violence case is crucial. If you are being harmed or threatened, you need an attorney who understands the laws and is able to protect you under the law. If you have been wrongfully accused of domestic violence, you need an attorney who understands how to protect your rights. Our law firm routinely serves clients on both sides of domestic violence actions. A court may issue a protection from abuse order to keep one spouse from threatening physical abuse against the other or committing domestic violence.

At the Law Office of Parker Edmiston, we work with individuals looking to file or defend against an order of protection.

Under What Circumstances Can You Seek an Order of Protection?

To request an order of protection from abuse there needs to be a certain relationship between the parties. If you or your children have been physically harmed or threatened by one of the following individuals you may need to request an order of protection:

  • Spouse
  • Ex-spouse
  • Anyone with whom you’ve had a relationship
  • Family member
  • Household member

You do not need an attorney to ask for a temporary order of protection. However, you should generally retain an attorney to be present at the hearing. It is particularly important to have an attorney if your abuser is represented.

An order of protection prohibits your abuser from contacting you directly or through another person. It is a particularly powerful tool because if your abuser violates the order, the police have the authority to arrest him or her. Courts will not tolerate anyone who violates their protection from abuse order.

Was an Order of Protection Filed Against You?

If an order of protection was filed against you, it would be smart to retain an attorney to safeguard your rights, particularly if you have a child with the accuser. It is crucial that you understand the terms of the order of protection because law enforcement takes these documents very seriously.

Whether you intentionally or inadvertently violate the terms of an order of protection, you can be arrested. Call us if you need assistance defending against it.

Contact Our Law Office

If you need a lawyer to help with your family law matter, contact our law firm to schedule an appointment by filling out the contact form online or by calling our Scottsboro Office at 256-259-0834 or our Huntsville Office at 256-519-5900.


Our Location

209 South Market Street, Suite 101
Scottsboro, Alabama 35768
(256) 259-0834 Telephone
(256) 259-0845 Facsimile

7027 Old Madison Pike, Suite 108
Huntsville, Alabama 35806
(256) 519-5900 Telephone


Law Offices of Parker Edmiston